Hearing Health Care for Seniors
The Plan of “Community-Based Hearing Health Care Service for Seniors”
According to the statistics by the World Health Organization (WHO), about 5% of the world’s population has hearing loss with the actual number of 360 million people, 328 million adults and 32 million children; and seniors aged older than 65 takes up a third of the population. According to the statistics until the end of January in 2016 by the Department of Household Registration, Ministry of the Interior, the total population of Taiwan was 23,496,068, the population aged 65 and above took up 2,955,517 (12.58%). The estimation made according to the population of people aged 65 and above by the World Health Organization, there will be over 985,173 people aged 65 and above having hearing loss in Taiwan. However, the statistic according to the application of Disability Card submitted by the population aged 65 and above by the end of 2015 was 81,350. That means there is still a population over 900 thousand having hearing loss and waiting to be concerned and interposed as well as prevention.
The Director of Otolaryngology Center at Yang-Ming Campus of Taipei City United Hospital Zhang Xin-ping studied epidemiology among seniors in 2008, his research found that among 1,221 participants who were aged older than 65 and lived in Shilin and Beitou District of Taipei City, more than 30% of seniors were aware of their hearing problem. Disabling hearing loss as defined by the World Health Organization, stands about half the proportion of people, which is much higher than the 1/3 estimation by the WHO. It indicates that the problem of hearing degradation really exists in Taiwan and is waiting for our care and attention.
1. A healthy body is the source of happiness, by taking good care of every part of the body, people can live a happy life. The hearing health care program for seniors hopes to make the seniors understand their hearing condition through hearing screening tests, explanation and self-care reminders so as to urge the seniors about the importance of hearing protection and avoid more possibility of suffering age-related hearing loss.
2. Audiologists conduct professional hearing tests in a quiet environment and provide explanation and hearing health care education.
3. The environmental protection concept promoted in the activity, “Reducing Noise and Acquiring Quietness”, creates a quiet and comfortable community environment, enhances the quality of life, and cultivates a noble civic accomplishment.
III. Activity Hosts
1. Advisor: Social and Family Affairs Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare
2. Organizer: PSA Charitable Foundation
3. Co-Organizer: Team of Audiologists and community care center
IV. Implementing Method
1. Period: Effective from January 2015, and continuing.
2. Objects: Seniors in the community, the public and volunteers who are interested in.
3. Time length: 2 hours, the session can be planned with flexibility according to the service points.
4. Location: Each community-based point nationwide.
5. Supporting personnel:
1) Audiologist: 1 or 2 audiologists for each session to examine the auditory canal, hearing screening, and explanation of the screening results.
2) Foundation’s Lecturer: Sharing the concept of hearing health care and hosting the activity.
3) Group of Volunteer: Assisting seniors in filling out particulars and ensure the safety of the seniors throughout the activity.
6. Procedure and Schedule:
|The Person in Charge
|The work team will reach the venue half an hour before the start of the activity for venue decoration and equipment preparation and calibration.
|Opening Ceremony and Oration Speech
|The Person in Charge of the Service Points
|(1)The volunteers will guide seniors to fill out their particulars.
(2)The audiologist team will examine the auditory canal and provide seniors with the results for future application.
(3)The binaural hearing screening will be conducted by the audiologist, and the results will be provided to the seniors for future application.
|Sharing the Concepts of Hearing Health Care
|By introducing the impacts to the human body brought by noise, then a lead to themes of hearing protection and how to treat the people with hearing impairment.
|Explaining the Screening Result
|According to the screening result of the day, the audiologist will give a summarized explanation and answer the questions proposed by the audience.
|The lecturer will propose some questions according to the content of sharing on the current day, and the participants can take the quiz contest to win a prize for rooting the concept of hearing health care in senio.
|Discussion and Opinion Exchange
|Foundation’s Lecturer & Audiologist
|If there are some questions related to hearing health care and personal hearing screening results, you may consult an audiologist.
7. Screening Test Results: The screening test results will be presented and made easy to read.
V. Related Descriptions
1. The expenses of course design, lecturer’s payment, transportation fees will be sponsored by PSA Charitable Foundation and the audiologist team. There’ s no charge to the participants.
2. In case of any questions, you may contact the person in charge of the foundation: Director Wang (E-MAIL：firstname.lastname@example.org; phone number: 02-8911-1311)
3. The URL of the website for applying the hearing health care service for seniors: I want to Apply.